Ransomware are the computer viruses that prevents you from using your computer unless you do something. Most common ransomware ask you to pay ransom (usually a fee or other makes you perform surveys) to get access to your computer.
Ransomware can gets installed to your computer by:
- Opening email attachments from unknown source.
- Visiting unsafe websites by clicking malicious or bad links in emails, social media posts, instant messenger chats.
Once it gets to your computer, it will start doing its work either by locking your screen or encrypting your entire filesystem.
You should be very careful about which application you are installing and where you are downloading these application from.
- Avoid downloading files from untrusted source.
- Don't click on the link on a web page, email, or in a chat message unless you trust the website or sender.
- Back-up your data to portable drive or cloud storage.
- Use antivirus software and anti-malware solutions and set it to conduct regular scans.
- Keep your computer up to date.
If you are a victim of Ransomware attack you can report a Crime by visiting https://www.nomoreransom.org/report-a-crime.html